Thursday 28 January 2010

Thursday is Fangirl Day!

Sooooo. In an attempt to bring more regularity and consistency into this blog, I've decided that set days will mean certain types of posts. In a bit of a homage to Gala Darling, who was one of the first blogs I ever started reading, Thursday is going to be a round up of things I've been reading / dancing to / watching / loving in a particular week. I have intense, short-lived obsessions so hopefully it won't be the same thing everytime!

Reading:
I've just started Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. It's not gripped me as much as Pride and Prejudice did so far, but that is one of my favourite movies / TV series ever, so it's kind of expected. I'm only a couple of chapters in so it should pick up :)
I've also been plodding through Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson. This book is ever so slightly weird. It's so far made up of little vignettes about the life of the people living in Lark Rise and Candleford, which makes it sound a little dreary. But all of a sudden you'll look at the clock and realise you've been completely lost in their world for a couple of hours. Deceptively gripping!
I went charity shopping today (one of my absolute favourite past times) and picked up Lady Chatterley's Lover and Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence, a collection of articles written by the editor of the New York Times in the first half of the twentieth century and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen so have a stockpile of books once the first two are finished with!

Dancing to:
Louis Armstrong, Vera Lynn, The Sonics, The Raveonettes and random songs from a collection of swing music I downloaded. My most played song at the moment is probably 'Look Out Stranger, I'm A Texas Ranger'. I've no idea who it's by, or why I love it so much but it's amazing. Go find it!

Watching:
The first series of Lark Rise to Candelford, and the new series too! Pretty outfits, cute rural life... it's my dream.
I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince for the third time this evening (my housemate hadn't seen it yet) and can honestly say it's the first time I've watched it and enjoyed it! The Harry Potter movies are always a bit of a slow grower for me as I'm such a massive fan of the books.
I've also been listening to the Terry Pratchett serialisations on BBC7; check them out on iPlayer if you're a fan, they're in perfect 20 minute segments, which suits a tea break or something to listen to while you're washing your hair!
A special mention should also go to Sherlock Holmes... what an awesome film. Oh em gee indeed.

Generally loving:
The vintage skirt pattern mentioned in my previous entry. I cut out the pattern tonight in a lovely heavy ivory silk, it's definitely a dressing up skirt! The kitty and I almost had a bit of a falling out - she has a real thing for pattern paper and always tries to nest in it while I'm pinning and cutting, and today the paper got a little ripped! Once I've started sewing I think I'll make a copy and then store the original safely away somewhere. Or knit Lilycat some little booties to avoid any more clawing mishaps...
Charity shopping: oh the amazing things you find! Along with the books already mentioned, today I found a beautiful cream silk top (pictures WILL follow, it's too good not to!), amazing post office scales that will now be used for baking purposes and a few strands of pearls to replace the ones that decide to explode in my handbag. Awesome good times.

Well I think that's it for today... I've got my bedtime cup of tea and the next episode of Lark Rise calling me.

Night all!
Jen xxxx

2 comments:

  1. love love love sense and sensibility :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good! Really starting to enjoy it now ^_^

    ReplyDelete