Saturday 26 February 2011

100 Years of Solitude

Okay, maybe not 100 years, but I do love my exaggerations... 


Earlier in the week, my housemate had a crash in his car.  He's fine, fortunately, but his car is more than worse for wear so he's been staying with his girlfriend who lives much closer to his work.  And I've been flying solo in the house all week.


Now, I've often found that when you live with family, friends, lovers - as opposed to random houseshare which I've thankfully never done - your alone time is often limited to going to bed or taking a long, long bath.  So it's been quite odd having the house to myself for what is almost a week.  I don't think I've lived on my own for over two years now!  I really enjoy my alone time... as lovely as it is to see friends, go for coffee or go out dancing, I also crave hours of my own company.  And I never get bored; I'm always baking, crafting or cleaning, usually with some radio 4 drama in the background (Raymond Chandler this week!).  Being alone was the best thing.  Ever.


Or so I thought...


It had gotten to the point yesterday where I was going to bed super early because I couldn't think of anything to do!  The house was clean, dinners were cooked, laundry was done, so I may as well just go to sleep.  Hence the lack of updates round here.  Today, I said no to apathy... I got up, went into town, took a leisurely stroll round my favourite thrift stores then came home, did some gardening and cooked up a yummy veggie bolognese.  I've just had a lovely long soak in the bath and now plan to do this for the rest of the evening...


Mmm, gin and a good book!

... tomorrow I'm going to get up bright and early again and carry on cooking, then have a bit of a pamper session in preparation for what's shaping up to be about 50 hours of work next week...

A lot of my girlfriends hate to be on their own.  If their lovers are busy, then they surround themselves with friends.  I'd go crazy!  But sometimes it helps to reinforce just how nice alone time can be, and I know I'll be really happy to see people again come Monday rather than feeling all 'socialled out' :)

So how about you guys?  Do you like alone time?  What's your favourite thing to do when you've got no one else around to entertain you?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love to be a lone. I sew, read, pray,sing at the top of my lungs, eat chocolate and dance to the radio. These are all my favorite things at different times. Enjoy your time a lone while you have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, singing... I definitely haven't been singing enough! That's now top of the to-do list for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love singing at the top of my voice when I'm alone too! Also crochet, play the guitar, cook, dance about, go for walks or watch DVDs. Glad you're enjoying your you-time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely still enjoying my me-time! Guitar practice is most certainly an awesome alone time activity too :)
    Another benefit I've realised, which is possibly too much information, is that you can sew in your pants... it makes quick fittings a lot easier! Lol. Simple things...

    ReplyDelete