Monday 28 February 2011

Show and Tell

Very quick update before I run back out to work again!


So here's what I did with my me-time Sunday... I made a skirt!




I'm pretty proud of this little cutie, it's the first sewing project that a) I've completed in a day and b) had no help with whatsoever. Squee!  It's from the Sew and Save book, which I highly recommend.  The only thing I'd do differently next time is make it in a fabric with more drape.  And also make it a lot smaller lol, think I'll be taking it in again at the weekend!

The cardi is made by moi also, it's from the Stitch n Bitch book and was the first cardi I ever made.  Obviously, the wonkiness is totally intentional and part of the pattern (I've come along a lot since!).

This outfit's had a lot of compliments today, I was pleased as punch to tell everyone it was almost entirely handmade.  Shoes are vintage '40s from my favourite Vintage V, and the t-shirt's from, umm, Topshop... That's Meg the Bicycle in the background too!

Have you made anything you're really excited about recently?

Jen xxxx

4 comments:

  1. That skirt is lovely! I got a sewing machine for xmas and have yet to use it properly but at the moment I am knitting my better half socks for his birthday, I've knitted one now I'm on the second one. Fingers crossed I'll have it done soon lol. x

    Frillymissmilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good luck with the socks! Are you knitting them on double pointed needles? I'm too frightened to try using them lol :)
    Once you get on your sewing machine you'll never look back, it's so much fun and there's so much you can do! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're not on double pointed needles just normal ones (I'm using 4's I think) they're heel-less so its so simple. The pattern is from a ww2 knitting book... here's the link if you'd like to give them a go.

    http://www.freevintageknitting.com/socks-pattern/practical-handknits/heeless-socks

    There's also loads of other free vintage patterns there too it's such a great site.

    I've found loads of really great dress patterns, I just need to get stuck in really I've vowed to make a dress before the year is out. Thats enough time for me surley lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, thank you! I'll definitely be giving them a try :)

    My first sewing project was a dress, and it's certainly doable... helps if you know a handy sewer though, my mum was called on a lot for that one! I recently found a Good Housekeeping book on home dressmaking in a local charity shop, and that's been so useful, so it's worth keeping your eye out for that kind of thing, it explains all the little bits that seem so confusing to us beginners! x

    ReplyDelete